There are very few people who don’t know about the famous trimmer manufacturing brand Philips. The Philips BT5210 is the 3rd generation beard trimming machine by Philips. If you are not using an electric trimmer until now or using an electric trimmer from another brand, now take the time to acquaint yourself with a new trimming machine. The Philips Norelco 5100 trimmer may help you to have the perfect beard style with a loveable trimming experience. I’m providing my personal and ShaverZone team’s professional experience on this trimmer.
What is in the Box?
After unwrapping the package, you will find-
- Phillips Norelco beard trimmer 5100 (Philips BT5210) itself
- One beard and stubble comb (1/64 -9/32 in/ 0.4mm-7mm)
- Short hair comb – (1/64 – 9/32 in/0.4mm – 7mm)
- Long hair comb – (9/32 – 1/2 in/ 7mm – 13mm)
- An adapter
- Appliance plug
- Cleaning brush
- Full 2 years warranty and 45- day money-back guarantee card
Philips Norelco 5100 Trimmer in Brief
- The Philips Norelco 5100 trimmer comes with a dynamic beard guide system.
- The Innovative lift and trim technology will effectively lift and guide hairs for a more proficient cut.
- The zoom wheel system automatically locks hair into one of 17 built-in precision length settings – from 1/64 inch (0.4mm) to 1/2 inch (13mm)
- The lithium-ion battery will provide up to 70 minutes of operating time with per hour of charge.
- 100% washable and cleaning is very easy.
- For an effortless and even trim – the integrated hair lift comb
- The stainless steel self-sharpening blades effectively cut every hair without pulling and any kind of irritation. The blades are double sharpened to cut more hairs in each pass.
- The rounded contour comb technology is engineered to deliver a skin-friendly trim.
Dynamic Beard Guide System
The innovative lift and trim technology of the Philips Norelco 5100 trimmer will effectively lift and guide your facial hairs for a more proficient cut.
It can follow every contour of your face and provide you a skin-friendly trim.
Self Sharpening Blades
The blades of Philips Norelco 5100 trimmer are made with stainless steel and these are self-sharpening.
Blades will protect your skin from irritations, nicks, and cuts.
The blades are double sharpened to cut more hairs in each pass.
Built-in 17 Precision Hair Length Settings
The Philips Norelco 5100 beard trimmer comes with zoom wheel length setting system.
Choose your preferred trim length by just turning the zoom wheel until the length you want is displayed.
The length settings start from 0.4mm – 7mm with 0.2 incremental step for short hair and 7mm – 13mm for long hair.
The Lithium-ion battery of battery of Phillips Norelco 5100 beard trimmer will provide you 70 minutes of cordless use in per hour of charge.
Even you can use it corded while the battery is dead.
Short and Long Hair Trimming Combs
The short hair comb is for 0.4mm – 7mm of hair length and the long hair comb is for 7mm – 13mm.
The Philips Norelco beard trimmer 5100 is fully washable, so there is no worry about water causes problems.
Even we can use the trimmer under the shower.
The cleaning system is so easy for being waterproof.
Full 2 Years of Warranty
Phillips Electronics North America Corporation warrants every product of Norelco for 2 years (without cutters and combs).
They will repair or replace your product against handicaps in materials or workmanship for a period of 2 years and this repairing is without charge.
Important – The warranty does not cover if your product is damaged for lack of responsible care, abuse, accident.
Built Quality of Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer 5100
Phillips Norelco Beard and hair trimmer BT5210/42 series 5100 comes with dynamic beard guide system for even trimming results.
What is the dynamic system? – This system is meant to assist feed your hair into the comb and it is supposed to prevent long hairs from being left behind once you are done.
The dual cut blades will lift and trim your beard without any kinds of irritations, cuts, and nicks.
The trimmer is very lightweight – only 13.9 ounces. You can easily hold the trimmer.
Cutting length – there are 20 length settings from 0.5mm – 10mm.
Detail Trimming – For detail trimming there are 17 length hair settings from 0.4mm – 7mm to create fine lines and details even in hard to reach areas.
Length settings adjustment is – Zoom wheel system. Just turn it until your desired length come.
The Phillips Norelco 5100 beard trimmer is 100% washable. So there is no water causing issues. Even you can trim under the shower.
Attachment combs – you will get 3 attachment combs with this package. One is for the beard, 2 hair clippings – one is for long hair and one is for short hair.
The blades are self-sharpening for that we don’t need to lubricate the blades.
We can use this trimmer cordless or corded.
Battery Life of Philips BT5210
Phillips Norelco 5100 series is powered by Lithium-ion battery which is included with this package.
The battery will provide 70 minutes of cordless use by per hour of charge.
Even the Phillips Norelco gives the corded use opportunity.
So if the battery runs out suddenly during operation, just plug it and it will be ready to operate.
There is also a battery indicator on the shaver body which will provide you battery status.
When the battery will be lowest, the indicator light flashes orange.
When you will charge the trimmer, the battery indicator will flash white.
After 30 minutes of charge, the indicator light will turn off.
When the battery will be fully charged this light will light up white continuously.
After 5 min of charge, the battery will provide enough juice of one trim.
My Trimming Experience
I always like to try something new. That’s why I bought the Phillips Norelco 5100 series Philips BT5210.
I have been using this one for 10 months.
And I am happy with its performance.
Being the trimmer lightweight it is very easy to hold for a long time.
But when it runs, it makes too much noise.
It is able to cut my beard perfectly but in thick areas, it takes few passes.
When I use the beard comb sometimes I feel pinches, but it is bearable.
Dry trim is easier than wet trim.
If you are a new user, you may have to face a little problem, but practice makes a man perfect.
Hair clippings provide me a satisfactory performance.
Based on Philips Norelco 5100 BT5210’s performance, I will give 4.5 out of 5.
- Lightweight trimming machine
- Cleaning is very easy
- It becomes fully charged just within 60min
- Corded and cordless use
- Attachments combs are sturdy
- The motor is very powerful
- Pretty loud in performance
Cleaning and Maintenance
Phillips Norelco Hair and beard trimmer series 5100 is fully washable.
After every use –
- 1st turn off the trimmer and disconnect it from the electric outlet.
- Then remove the comb from the trimmer and rinse it under running warm water. You can use the supplied cleaning brush for easy clean.
- Clean the trimmer head by using the supplied cleaning brush then hold it under running tap
- After cleaning carefully shake off excess water and then let them air dry thoroughly
Note: this trimming machine does not need lubrication.
- Do not use the abrasive cleaning agents, compressed air or aggressive liquids like – alcohol, acetone or gasoline to clean the trimmer and its attachments.
- Don’t use the towel or tissue to dry it quickly. These may damage or break the trimming teeth
- Never clean the trimmer or remove the attachments when the motor is ON.
- Don’t apply any pressure to cutters.
- For cleaning the trimmer handle use a soft dry cloth
Cleaning Trimming Head Connector
We have to clean the trimming head connector every 3 months.
- 1st turn OFF the trimmer.
- Remove the trimming comb from the head.
- Then Pull trimming head off from the trimmer.
- Hold the trimming head connector and hair chamber under running warm water and use the cleaning brush.
- Brush thoroughly the inside of the trimming head and rinse it through warm water.
- Shake off excess water with consciousness and let both parts air dry.
- After drying, press the trimming head back on the trimmer. And make certain the trimming head projection on the back fits accurately onto the notch in the hair chamber.
There is no perfect trimmer in the market that can fulfill your all expectations.
I tried to provide all the information about this appliance. If you are happy with your previous trimmer, you don’t need to buy this one.
But if you want to buy something new, I will recommend you to make a test try for 45 days as Philips offers it.
After the test, if the product did not meet your satisfaction you can return it and Phillips Norelco will provide your full money back.
But you have to back this product within 45 days from the actual purchase day. But I’m sure that, you will be satisfied with the trimmer.
If you use it so carefully, it will be long-lasting. Sometimes it becomes damaged for lack of reasonable care.
To make your trimmer long lasting, please follow every instructions and restriction of ‘’user manual’’.
Some User Guides
- When you will trim your facial hair, trim it dry. Because dry trimming is easier and secure than wet trimming
- Always comb your beard or mustache when you will start trimming
- During trim don’t move the trimmer too fast, maintain a smooth and gentle movements
Trimming with The Comb
- When you will attach the comb on the trimmer, be certain that the trimmer is in the OFF position
- There are 2 guiding grooves on both side of the trimmer. Slide the comb into it then you will hear ‘’click’’
- For your desired hair length settings turn the Zoom Wheel. The setting wheel is shown on the front on the trimmer
- The settings length is from 1/64 in/0.4mm to 9/32 in/7mm
- If you are using this trimmer for the 1st time, use the trimming comb for maximum length settings to prevent accidentally trimming hair too short. And if you are known with the Zoom Wheel setting adjust it for desire length settings. Zoom Wheel will ‘’click’’ into position at every setting.
- Then Press the ON/OFF button to turn the trimmer ON
- To trim in the most effective way, you have to move the trimmer against the direction of hair growth
- If the cut hairs stuck in the comb, turn the trimmer OFF then remove them from the head and shake the hair out of the comb. Don’t change the selected trimming length when you do this.
After every use, clean the trimmer and attachments thoroughly with warm tap water. Warm water does not mean boiled water.
Trimming Without a Comb
You don’t need to use the trimming comb if you are
- Defining lines of hair
- Trimming nape of your neck
- Removing single, undesirable hairs
- Be sure the trimmer is in OFF position
- Remove the comb from the trimmer head
- Turn the trimmer ON
- Make well-controlled movements and touch the hair lightly by this trimming machine
Tip: for a comfortable and close operation place the flat side of the trimming head against your skin and create strokes in the desired direction.
- For best result use the attachment on clean and dry hair.
- Don’t use this appliance on freshly washed hair.
- Before starting, comb your hair in the direction of hair growth.
- To obtain optimal clipping result, move the appliance against in the direction of hair growth.
- 1st be sure, the trimmer is in OFF position
- Adjoin the hair clipping comb on the trimmer head
- Then select your desired trimming length by tuning the ZOOM WHEEL
- If the clipper is for the 1st time, use the comb for maximum trimming length settings to prevent accidentally clipping too short
- Then turn the trimmer ON
- Move the trimmer slowly through the hair making certain the surface of the comb remains in contact with the skin.
To minimize the risk of electric shock, burns or injury to a persons
- Close supervision is essential when you use this trimmer on children or invalids
- Don’t operate the trimmer if it has damaged cord or plug
- The trimmer is 100% washable but don’t operate until it fully dries
- To prevent the damage of cord, don’t warp the cord around the trimmer
- With this trimmer, only use the power plug supplied which comes with this package
- Always keep your trimmer and its attachment, power plug in the moisture-free area and be certain the cord is disconnected from the appliance.